Daily News Reports

Thursday, April 17, 2008

‘I really wish that I were in Sonam’s shoes...’


• You are playing a negative character in Tashan…

Let's not talk about my character in Tashan. Let people see the film first as I am looking forward to see how the audience reacts to my character.

You are working with Yash Chopra after a long time. There was some problem between you and him over you not doing Parampara.

It was something very minor and it didn't affect our relationship. We continued to interact on a regular basis. Although we often spoke about working together, it only materialised after all these years with Tashan.

• Aditya Chopra offered you to play a tapori in Tashan as he only likes you in those kinds of roles.


I think Adi (Aditya Chopra) is the best person to answer this but yes he has told me that he loves as a tapori.

• You have been successfully playing the same kind of character in all your films like Mashal, Ram Lakhan and Welcome. What makes you tick?

I feel the masses connect with me easily as a tapori but the script has to be good too. I know I should not overdo it as everyone gets tired of seeing an actor do the same thing over and over again.

• But does it not limit your capabilities as an actor since filmmakers come with the same kind of roles?

No look at Subhash Ghai. We started with Meri Jung where I played a lawyer and Karma and Ram Lakhan where I was a tapori. But then, Subhash also offered me Taal and Black And White. David Dhawan is one director who gets upset when I do films like Hum Aap Ke Dil Mein Rehte Hain and Hamara Dil Aap Ke Paas Hai.

• Why?

He says, 'Yaar Anil tu yeh sab mat kar sirf yeh kar kyonki yeh commercial hai yaar.' He is one person who gets very panicky if I try something different.
• Don't you think this is the best phase of your life with Welcome and Race being blockbusters and the soon-to-be-released Tashan?

I think it is the best phase of my life personally as well as professionally. My children are doing well, my production work is falling in place and as an actor I am enjoying the best phase in my life. I am being offered interesting scripts but I am only shooting for Yuvraj right now. I will be going to London for ten days and then to New York to meet both my daughters, Sonam and Riya. I have enough time to develop and make scripts under my banner and my wife is looking very good! (Laughs)

• Gandhi My Father, which released under your banner, won many awards but the film wasn't a commercial hit…

Gandhi My Father not doing well at the box office would have affected some new small-town producer who does not know anything about filmmaking. I belong to a filmmaking family and I have seen these things happening so many times. People who say that my film has not made money do not understand that I will be making money from Gandhi My Father for years to come as there are so many different avenues apart from collection from theatres.

• You have set up your own production house while your brothers Boney and Sanjay are making their own films. Earlier, Sanjay was upset with you since you didn't do his film with Vivek Agnihotri?

Jab hum acting alag alag kar sakte hai then why can't we produce films differently? Sanjay is young and gets excited very soon. But better sense prevailed and he is making a bigger and better film now. He was upset when I did not do his film and thought 'Why is my elder brother doing this to me?' I told him that it was not the right film but he didn't understand so I put my foot down and told him that I don't want to do it and he got upset with me.

• Your family was also upset over this…

My family was upset but everything is fine now and Sanjay is making a film with Anees Bazmee.

• Does he take advice from you on filmmaking?

I have always been a listener in my family. All of them, including my children, advice me. I don't advice anyone. (Laughs)

• Sonam is not signing too many films. Any reasons?

I really wish I were in her shoes and could do one film at a time. She is in no hurry.

• Does she discuss the offers she gets?

If she likes a film she will do it. She has a mind of her own.

• I believe that you didn't know who Hollywood director Danny Boyle was when he offered you a film.

Yes. I had heard the names of all his films but I didn't know he was the same director. My son told me who he was. In fact, my friends in the industry jokingly say, 'Anil is so ignorant!'
mumbai news

No comments: